Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What Nirvana means to me...

I've used the big N word in the title of my very first book - 'Nirvana.' I am sure to be asked what the word means for me. I don't mind saying that the journey of writing the book taught me the real meaning of Nirvana. I don't think I knew it when I started out or even chose to name the book, 'Corporate Nirvana.'

Nirvana means for me a few simple things - to be at peace with what I have, to enjoy the present moment, to treat this day I am a part of with respect and joy in my heart. And I do feel that joy, because I am alive, able to move around and do things on my own, not have to worry about four square meals a day, and live in a house that I can call home. I feel fortunate because I have so much to be happy about and therefore, so little to crib about. I know I live in a democracy and not under slavery or destitution of any kind, so I can go about doing my business everyday with my head held high. Wouldn't you say those are a hell lot of reasons to smile and get through the day like a star!

I feel like an absolute star on a daily basis - on the inside. I have begun to understand this delicious paradox of what it means to be happy. This is my share of discovery - the more we have and get, the less likely we are to be happy and contented. Sounds downright silly. And do let me know if you grossly disagree!

That doesn't mean I say  no to the good stuff that is dropping in my lap, lets say. But when it does drop - I know for sure that that particular stroke of good fortune is not a compulsory part of my being happy that day. Even if it didn't happen, I had all that I needed to be happy on that day!

Profound stuff this. For me, that is. Taken a long time to get this far in my head.  

So, I wake up each morning, and stretch and thank God that I have everything I need today to make me insanely happy. A moment of personal Nirvana looks like that to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment