Monday, July 18, 2011

The day I learned to meditate...

I have never learned how to meditate, in the technical sense of the word, I mean. Oxford describes the word 'Meditate' as: "Focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation." Then in finer text below (and more importantly, I think) it says, "think deeply about (something)."

And that something clicked into place.

Some years ago my mind was in considerable turmoil. And the more I pressed for answers the more I came up with disappointments. I was in despair at how I had worked my ineffective lifestyle, fueled by my relentless work schedule, to a point of no return.

And then it happened. I burnt-out, I mean. Just for the sake of info, Oxford defines that as: "In a state of physical or mental collapse caused by overwork or stress." Now that meaning hit home right away.

And when my body broke down, I was forced to switch off my mobile, my laptop, my mind, my friends, my bosses, my TV, and anything and anyone who could speak even a word to me. I spent a good one week lying in bed - thinking! 

That was deep thinking - the deepest I have felt in my life. I soul searched, dug for answers, faced my demons, allowed myself to feel pathetic about my mistakes, and dared to accept the path that was obvious if I wanted to set things right. Though I have to say, the most intoxicating part of that one week was....to have felt nothingness. I came in touching distance of what it must feel to be in a spiritual state of mind. That thrill is tough to describe in words.

That one week of cutting myself off from humanity and being silent felt so right - and so timely. I felt meditative for the first time in my life. Clarity hit home with a vengeance. And I had learned to meditate.

Since then, I have accepted, with great humility, a different approach to indecision and persistent questions. Instead of talking and hunting actively for information - I have learned to shut down the machinery and peripherals of my life that are otherwise constantly whirring.

After all, as Alan Cohen says, "If you want to find God, hang out in the space between your thoughts."

PS: Just in case you get curious about Alan Cohen   http://alancohen.wwwhubs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment