Monday, July 25, 2011

Refreshingly old....

A few months ago, I met a couple in their late sixties who knew me since I was a kid. I was meeting them after twenty-five long years, and it was.......an utter and absolute shock! They looked as fit as a couple of fiddles can possibly look. Though much more than that they seemed happy, radiant, and at peace.

I thought of my back ache from the previous day and drowned in a generous puddle of inferiority. Are they reverse lying about their age? Nope, they couldn't be younger even if they did have a warped sense of humor to let lose on unsuspecting juniors like me. "They are indeed in their late sixties", mom whispered conspiratorially.

I heard their interesting stories, got sentimental about loss and sorrow, felt excited simply because they were excited about their five grandchildren, and smiled hugely for no reason at all the rest of the time.

Finally, I couldn't stop myself from asking the secret of their exuberant health and life. So tell me....how, what, when, how come? Their answer was as forthright as the rest of their conversations had been that evening. They stunned me with their revelation - just two years ago they weren't so healthy or happy! Mr.X couldn't get out of bed in the mornings as spondylitis made inroads into his body. And Mrs.X had vertigo and general joint pains. Most old people might pop a couple pills and pull the blanket closer around their aging bodies.

Not them. This couple did something that must have taken gallons of willpower and tons of courage. They took a decision to drive to a public park at 5:00 am and brisk walk for one solid hour. Then followed it up with five simple breathing exercises and five simple yoga asanas. And they did this every single morning. Until.....pain, discomfort, and obvious signs of aging left them for greener pastures.

That evening spent with the courageous couple has had a profound effect on me. Do I have the gumption to do what they have brilliantly done already? Is a question I have asked myself several times already. Not that I have an option but to follow in their foot steps because my wondering just wouldn't stop.

Maybe, waking up at 5:00am will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment