Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How to be happy everyday

There are some gifted people who are happy every single day. Almost as if by magic. They smile and mean it, they speak kindly and we believe them, they stay calm in the midst of a tempest, and we look up to them with awe. How do they do it? Why can't everyone do the same and be happy everyday?

That's because it's a skill....and like all other skills, it needs daily practice until it gets embedded into our subconscious mind and we believe with absolute faith that we must be habitually happy people. When you learn to drive a car or to swim, you don't become an expert on day one. It takes time for the skill to get embedded in our subconscious mind before we can either drive or swim without having to think of 'how' to drive or swim. It happens naturally and without conscious effort.

Being happy everyday is much the same. It is a conscious practice until one day, the subconscious takes over and it becomes as natural as breathing air. Our mind then churns out happiness in the face of great unhappiness and unhappy people.  Seeing the proverbial 'silver lining' to every dark cloud is a skill as well.

I have experimented quite a bit with being happy because I am intrigued by this emotion. It is so easy to be angry, rude, revengeful, envious, mean.....I could do this all day long without an effort. We won't talk of consequences just yet, only that it is easy to be negative. Being a difficult person doesn't take practice.

Being happy is the hard part for those of us who might already have committed to the negative traits we all have within us. Only one strong, dominant emotional habit can survive in the subconscious mind at a time. Either we commit to being unhappy or we commit to being happy. If we make a promise to our subconscious, deep inner self that we will be happy everyday, it will take our command seriously and belt out happiness day after day. It has no option but to listen to what we decide. The subconscious does not have the power to overturn our decisions, it faithfully obeys and manifests exactly what we ask it to do.

This is not a tiring task for our body or mind, and there is no question of being fatigued with being happy everyday. It is possible to be full of energy, good humor and happiness day after day. We just need to command our subconscious to do so. Speak with it with authority about your intention to be a happy person. Unhappiness escapes quickly then.

How to speak to your subconscious mind is documented in many books, here is one of the ways that works for me. It is called the visualization technique. When I am relaxed physically, for example just before going to sleep or while meditating or doing yoga, I imagine with all my focus how I want a certain situation to be. I clearly imagine every detail of my intention or goal. For example, if I want my body to be healed of a back pain, I imagine myself completely fit, without pain, flexible and being able to walk and jog easily. I hold this image in my mind and 'feel' being healthy. I never doubt that this picture in my mind is not true or that I am in pain right now. I focus on the good part I want happening in my life. Which is healing, in this case. The pain vanishes in a short time, and I am healthy again.

Another great technique is to keep telling yourself  repeatedly what you want your subconscious to accomplish for you. If you want to be to happy everyday, you can say something on these lines....

'I am happy everyday, I remain calm and peaceful. There is joy in my heart every single day. I am grateful for all the blessings in my life.'

If you are prone to being an anxious and worried person, you can say, 'I am calm and peaceful. I know everything will be settled with harmony and happiness.' 

Feel free to make the message short or long as you wish. The important part is not the length of your message, but your conviction while saying it. Say it in your mind when you feel the urge to be unhappy or angry at someone. When spoken with absolute faith and belief, the message goes to our inner mind and gets lodged there. Our actions follow that message. Very soon, you will see great results from this mind technique.

It has been my repeated and absolute experience that when we don't give the right messages to our subconscious mind, and let it wander in negative habits, our life becomes steadily unhappy and unsuccessful. Also, if we are not incharge of our thinking, others will take charge of our thinking. It is better, therefore, to decide who we want to become as we move forward. The power of our life is in our own hands. The more we use it the more it becomes easy to be powerful, happy, successful, healthy, wealthy, and harmonious individuals. Begin today!

I recommend a great book, 'The Power of your Subconscious Mind' by Dr. Joseph Murphy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment