Sunday, July 24, 2011

Step 9 - Becoming Super Leaders - Develop Wisdom

STEP 9: Develop wisdom not just about work, but your organization

Many of us can be very smart about how to run our team, but if asked about the position of the organization as a whole, we might be clueless.

The Challenge: Tunnel vision is an occupational hazard in the corporate world. What we do becomes our world, why we do it takes a backseat most times.

The Key: Keep your ear to the ground. Maybe, we need to listen more, speak less. When we have thinking time is when we develop wisdom.

3 Practical Ideas:
Listen: When I trained freshers in professional skills, I often quoted my own example as a brand new employee. I listened a lot and tried speaking less when I knew I did not know enough. It helped me enormously, first in understanding my team, my boss, and eventually where my organization was positioned in the larger scheme of things. This knowledge was very useful during my career with the organization.

Share: Talking to those you are comfortable sharing information with creates a healthy exchange. Insights can strike when two heads put together what seems like disjointed organizational information. Speak with others, engage in meaningful conversations. Ask some intelligent questions about the business. What you figure out and understand will undoubtedly help in elevating the quality of your own work and output.

Keep your ear to the ground: I've observed that progress in an organization is directly proportional to having access to useful information. Keep your ear to the ground literally means listening for clues to gauge the health of the organization. Read the press releases, but more importantly understand the background and the ground reality of what's behind the information you read. Those who are wise about their organization are also the pioneers of new initiatives and focused efforts.

I began this series with wisdom about our self, but along the way it has become more evident to me how we need to be more clued in to what ever it is we choose to pursue.

Coming up next: The last one - Step 10: Make every team member benefit from success

No comments:

Post a Comment