Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Don't sell yourself short...

I am especially inspired to write this one because it's not often that anyone tells us to do otherwise. That is, sit us down and warn us about the danger of selling ourselves short.

On the contrary, most people settle for less thinking that things will get better once they buy into the initial idea. No, things don't get better, they get worse (and if you don't do something today, they might stay that way). Maureen Dowd put it brilliantly, "The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for!"

Look around in your life - your workplace - your friends - your bank balance - your health - and ask yourself.....have you settled for less than what you deserve?

When I graduated from my MBA in the late nineties, I didn't come out with a job in hand - it was a downturn of major proportions. I finally found one with a tiny co. that offered me a pittance to work as an HR fresher in their utterly uninspiring work place. I know why I got a sorry job - because I had convinced myself that it was a bad market and all great jobs were taken and no one would pay me what I deserved anyway.

But somewhere....deep down in my heart, a spark of common sense said - why am I doing this to myself? My parents didn't get me this far for nothing. Believe me, but the very next day, I saw an ad in the papers ( my blind eyes finally began seeing opportunities that were worth my while). The new Indian Institute of Management, Indore, needed an Academic Associate in the area of Organizational Behavior. And they were paying a good amount, too. I sat dumbstruck! This was perfect for me. In a matter of weeks, I had got my dream job! I got the job amongst many other candidates because I was so determined to get it. In fact, I worked harder than I can recall for a 15 minute interview. I still have pages full of preparation notes from there.

I think the person offering us something they know we don't deserve can be easily blamed, but we are to be blamed equally if we accept that offer. If you want to be treated fairly or get what you deserve then set the tone, so others know what you expect. There is nothing noble about being silent or hesitate to talk about what's good for you. And we are not just talking about material things here!

All spiritual literature of the world tells us we have an indisputable divine spark within us. And when we settle for less, that spark dies slowly but surely until we do become like everyone else.

Instead, learn to value yourself. We ARE unique in what we are capable of doing. Even if we feel just like others on the surface or the competition seems immense, or the market is bad. There is a special spark if you choose to ignite it and let it be seen by others.

So, start today and find that something exciting and special about you. If you won't -who else will?

No comments:

Post a Comment