Sunday, July 31, 2011

How not to get frustrated at work...

Our boss is not the worst person we ever worked for and neither is our client as cut-throat as we imagine. Most of all we are responsible for our bad health and unhappiness at work.We deceive ourselves when we say things like, 'that's how my industry works, I can't help it' or 'everyone around me is going through the same thing', or better still, 'I guess that's the price one pays to earn big bucks in tough competition.' WRONG.

Just a few days back, one of my good friends vented about their bad work schedules. The person was disillusioned, disappointed, and tired of their work life though they loved their job content.Here are a few things that might prove useful. Do take some time out to think about your own work situation.

What makes us frustrated? 
- Unable to get proper rest
- Eating quick meals or junk food
- Not able to spend time with family
- Killing ones hobbies
- Not able to socialize with friends
- Coming home too tired to even think

After getting burnt much more than once, I devised my own plan for what I call....'Healthy Work Ethic'.

Healthy Work Ethic
1. Understand the limits of your own body and health status. Knowing what you are capable of and your own physical limits seriously helps in deciding  your work priorities. You will be at peace refusing some kinds of work even if it means you might miss out on a few rewards.

2. It is all very well to say work and life should be the same, and yet when one spills over into the other it causes such disruption. Why not make a list of things that you really value in your personal life outside your work. Keep this list where you can see it everyday.

3. Make an effort to pursue your hobbies that made you happy in the past. I used to paint before I got into a job. Then I forgot about it for years. Suddenly, I realized what a joy it was to paint, and I began again. It helped me greatly in restoring my balance.

4. Balance out need and greed. If we get greedy instead of being ambitious we lose our way in the maze of the professional world. How much is too much? I discovered that being contented is good, it gives me perspective.

5. Create a social circle away from your office folks. Don't let your friend circle begin and end at work. Instead, find a club or a social cause or a professional group like Rotary that gives you an out when it comes to socializing. It can make a huge difference to our happiness.

6. Don't wait for someone to say how hard you work and they appreciate it. It is seriously frustrating for anyone to not hear that for long periods. Draw the line yourself. Know that you are doing your best and you need to look out for your health as well.

7. Know your non-negotiables. What are those top few things that you will not give up on no matter what. Think hard about this list. It makes all the difference. In fact, saying no becomes less tough once you know your reasons for declining work or opportunities.

Hope this helps, and do let me know if any of this works for you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment