Saturday, January 14, 2012

The art of letting go....

As I sit here to write today, I have gathered new experiences in this new year, visited a new place I'd never been to, donned the tourist hat and looked around keenly, met new people and made a couple of new friends. And of course....had some new realizations.

This year, one of my bigger realizations is to forgive more freely and have more compassion in any situation than I am prone to displaying. Not that I don't forgive or forget, but there room for improvement. I need to let myself and others off of the hook more often. 

Many years ago, I read this beautiful piece that came as a forward in my inbox. It was called, 'The art of letting go', and it had an undeniable effect on my thinking. I'll admit that I haven't always been able to let go in emotionally and mentally tough situations, but with passing years, I am beginning to see great value in it. 

I often ask myself....what makes for a happy, peaceful, and fulfilling day? Well, for starts not harboring bitter and regretful feelings helps. Not brooding over past injustices and the unfairness of our world saves positive fuel to propel better thoughts. Not letting grudges and anger fester in my mind opens up loads of space for better things to enter my life. Not holding resentments allows me to find more friends and less foes. It's all connected to the art of letting go....letting go the past and respecting my present more.

So, I am about to make a list of all that which has bothered me in the past, and then close my eyes and meditate on what makes me angry about that person, thing or place and then with all my positive energy - release my hurt and anger. I plan to do this until I have crossed out all that I might have stored in my little black book. I guess, we all have one stashed away and the contents always spill over into the worst moments of our life - reminding us of all the negativity of the past and present.

I am getting older. I don't have the time or the patience or the energy to brood, to resent, to show my anger, to take my back, to settle my scores, to justify myself, to rub it in, to indulge in regrets, to live in fear, to feel insecure, and to feel negative. I am done with all of these for this lifetime.

And I am thankful, because I now understand the value of the opposite end of the spectrum. All the above were important and necessary experiences. I would be incomplete without crossing those paths. But there is a time to cross a path and there is a time to recognize that road and decide to not go down it again. 

I think I have reached that point where I can stand at crossroads and choose more wisely. Forgiveness comes to me more easily, compassion does not feel hypocritical, concern sounds naturally genuine and proving I am right doesn't matter as much. 

Unlike what I had imagined - this an easier road to walk on because the fantastic people you meet on this path are people you won't meet on any other.

2 comments: