Monday, July 25, 2011

Step 10 - Becoming Super Leaders - Share your success

STEP 10: Share your Success with Team Members

I feel like we have come full circle today starting from Step 1, which said - Think differently and rapidly move to action. The last step is about how to share our success with others.

The Challenge: Leaders are not necessarily villains that don't want to share. But spreading out the good stuff takes special effort, well thought out communication, and public displays of appreciation.

The Key: Start small. Do what's important on a daily basis when it comes to giving credit. Doesn't take half an hour to share success - just two minutes. Literally.

3 Practical Ideas
Mean what you say: Sharing successes with team members is certainly not about what we say, but how we say it and if it means much. I valued my boss sticking his head in my cubicle and giving me one sentence of positive feedback. It made my day. I didn't necessarily grudge him not naming me the employee of the month. The fact that he believed what he was saying had a strong effect on us as a team.

Create informal channels: Often, leaders create a bulletin board with employee of the month pinned on it, or send a mail to their team applauding that one member who contributed significantly. It brings the spotlight on the right person, and creates a healthy environment in the team. That is - if you picked the right person to appreciate. This is also a powerful idea. You can send a brief mail about how one or more than one team member added to the success of an initiative. And cc important people on the mail.

Praise in Public: I love this thumb rule someone taught me ages ago. Praise in public, criticize in private. While we make team members a greater part of team success, it's really important to keep this tip in mind as well. If we have a kind word to say, might as well say it within hearing shot of others!

These and many other ways that I am sure you will devise on your own lead to SUPER LEADERSHIP on a daily basis. It is the excitement of doing that which is not garden variety leadership. I wish you all best luck and many great milestones on the path to super leadership.

Cheers to being leaders!


No comments:

Post a Comment