Thursday, July 28, 2011

Do commitments matter?

I've been asking myself this question very often these days - do commitments and promises mean anything anymore? They once did, when our grandparents gave their word and kept it, even if it meant making personal sacrifices to do what they had promised to do.

It has been my professional experience in recent times that commitments and their value has seriously declined. So, someone says something to me with unflinching conviction the evening before and we settle on a plan, and the next day they don't bat an eyelid before doing a 180 degree! I had a colleague talking to me on the phone reporting similar incidents and asking me if that's how the 'corporate world' worked? Or are they missing something here?

Both for their and my sake, I focused on people who have taught me through their brilliant example that not everyone in our corporate world is the same. I have had the good fortune to learn from senior leaders no less that it doesn't take that much to keep commitments. A simple, "Sonali, I can't promise anything right now and we'll talk after a week", works just as well.

I guess people often promise things because they find it awkward to tell you otherwise. Especially, in our Asian culture. But isn't that a painful way to say, 'No'?

So next time you know you don't know for sure....say so. It will save a lot of explanations and apologies, but more importantly, it will tell the other person that you are a man or a woman of integrity. Who keeps their word. Even in this age.

No comments:

Post a Comment