Sunday, September 11, 2011

The ordinariness of being extraordinary

Let me begin this with a disclaimer. I don’t mean that being extraordinary is anything ordinary. I do mean instead, that all of us have the potential to be extraordinary, and it is not as unusual as you might think. Therefore - the ordinariness of being extraordinary!

Think about this, it is easier to lean back and watch TV than to live our life every day. In fact, I wrote this in my first book. In the same vein, it is easier to look up to others rather than look within to discover the seeds of greatness inside us. We are born to be extraordinary, how could nature have meant it any other way?

Like so many of you who might be reading this piece, I’ve had my share of what I call – living-weekend-to-weekend. And it did feel like a ‘weakend’ because I was too tired to do anything but exist in anticipation of my next vacation. The idea was to plod through life until there was a sensible reason to show more enthusiasm. Most times, none was required.

Thankfully, I did realize that this wasn’t anywhere close to living my life. Pain generally brings out deep memories. And mine reminded me of my father and mother’s ambition of seeing me do extraordinary things – like most normal parents wish, I am sure. With a halfhearted internal fight followed by sheepish acceptance, I realized I was responsible for my ordinariness. That too, in a situation with obvious privileges that only a miniscule % of the world population can boast of (read, clean drinking water, food, shelter, clothing, education, family support, job, and a bank balance).

I had been at grave fault. Firstly, of taking my good fortune for granted and secondly, of not recognizing my mistake sooner. Far too many years had passed by living a garden variety kind of existence. Not that I did not stand out on occasion or do meritorious work as a professional but that I stopped there. And didn’t explore how I might have multiplied my achievements to make my life extraordinary every single day. The latter part is a different ball game altogether.

My journey has brought me to a point where I believe it is not my choice to be ordinary anymore; I feel compelled to strive for the extraordinary – everyday. I might miserably fail on certain days, but I still sleep with utmost satisfaction in the awareness of my choices and decisions on that day.

It is also a great responsibility we owe to our own potential, talent, education, and experience. What is any of these worth if we aren’t endeavoring to make of them more than our daily bread?

Now, to answer what constitutes extraordinary? Extraordinary can vary vastly in subject, but is united in spirit, I feel. And to make this even better, here is the idea of extraordinary spelled out as beautifully as I can ever hope to express it myself...

“When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project; all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and your discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be,” said Patanjali.

This one is dedicated to that unexplored, untapped, and amazingly potent core within all of us, waiting to propel our life to heights you and I have not yet imagined.  

PS: Let me know what you think, and what has been your experience, will love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment