Friday, September 23, 2011

How to act on your dreams!

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to dream of achieving something spectacular, something big and significant.

To have all eyes looking at us and admiring our achievement. I think, it takes an unusual person to not dream of big goals and big success. All of us do, I think, in our own way. It's just that we don't always openly share our biggest dreams with anyone. In fact, we hardly admit them as serious thoughts even to ourselves. It feels silly! Funnily, a major success or a thrilling achievement looks more credible and doable on others than us.

If this thought has crossed your mind, don't believe it even for a minute. The truth is, the great stuff that happens to people we admire and look up to could be happening to us in just a few short months or an year. Really...that soon! You see, how far behind we are on our dreams is not proportionate to the time it will take to catch up with them. Dreams can become reality pretty quickly. And I say this from absolute first-hand experience.

But before that, let me ask. Have you noticed how people less qualified, less intelligent, less talented, less supported, and less financially fortunate continue to achieve their dreams while a lot of times, we aren't able to do the same? Isn't it puzzling how that keeps happening around us on a regular basis? I hope we all understand something here - the above laundry list of qualifications are not 'the most' important things to achieve our dreams.

So, what are these 'other' successful, brilliant, extraordinary people doing that we aren't doing?

Here's a revelation, after watching and speaking with numerous successful people - I found out that they do three significant things. First, they turn their dream into a solid, well articulated GOAL. Second, they BELIEVE in that goal without feeling self-conscious or embarrassed about their goal, and third, they take ACTION! Above and beyond any other ingredient of success, they focus with all their energy on what can they DO to get to that goal.

Many of us believe that having enough money to realize our goal is the most important and first condition. Wrong. Money comes later, much later. Clarity and belief come first! These lead to action right away. We then find surprising avenues to fund our goal or bump into someone at an event who is interested in funding us or any number of weird cross connections help us solve the money problem. There's just one condition.... everything follows....clarity, belief and action.

How does anyone know which actions need to be taken? It is amazing how you get that clarity once you begin thinking hard about your goal. Just the other day, I was thinking about the content of my second book. What should it be about? I realized that creative thoughts refused to come by while I did other stuff, and thought about my second book as a second priority.

I at once left what ever I was doing, and sat down with a brand new notebook and my favorite pen in a quiet corner of my home. I had no idea what I was going to write on those blank pages, but I was confident that once I focused all my positive energy into figuring out my exact goal - I would know what to write.

Lo and behold, something amazing happened within the next half an hour. Promising ideas began to pour out of me, and one inspiring thought led to another. Before I knew, I had outlined two books instead of one. The more I pondered on one idea, the more insights came to me. And here is the best part, as my goal began to clarify in my mind, I automatically started to realize what actions could take me closer to my goal. I now know what I need to do to make my second book a physical reality, and bring it out of the realm of dreams. That is the power of thought! All it took was half an hour of focus.

If I can do this, then why can't any one of you? I don't have a brilliant academic record, I don't know important people in important places, and I have no extra special qualifications than any of you. In fact, at times I wonder if I have too many qualifications, all of which are not even useful! I am an ordinary person with a gigantic amount of belief that anything that I deeply wish for will happen in my life. I live and thrive on that belief. And that makes me take my dreams very seriously and with as much love and honor as I would take any one else's dream if they shared it with me.

So, here is a weekend challenge for anyone who stops by and has read this to the end :) Invest this weekend in searching for that one dream inside of you that refused to leave your conscious thought. Write down your dream in 1-2 lines max. Ponder on it in a quiet place until you can write it down as a goal now - complete with your purpose, end result and time-frame. Then, believe with all your heart. Lastly, list down at least 3 - 4 actions that you know you can take right away!

Take up this challenge and make your weekend count! Loads of good luck and have fun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment