Thursday, August 4, 2011

The disease of being busy...

What is it with people saying, 'I am busy' in response to all manner of questions.

Let's meet up for dinner. Yeah, lets see, I am really busy.

So, did you watch that movie? Nope, been really busy.

Why don't you get to the doc? Can't, I am busy.

I think some people should get to a doctor pronto because saying 'I am busy' is a disease. And it seems to be contagious. Really. Like a mental affliction that makes us believe we have zero time available to do meaningful things in life. Or fun things, for that matter. Busy people are also innately boring people. That is why they can stand to be so busy at work. See.

So what is humanity so busy with? You might ask. Well, going to work, working, coming  back from work...and repeating the above cycle. That should amount to a good explanation. Especially, for those who see work as a worthy cause to be perpetually busy instead of a means to an end - read - having enough resources to watch movies, meet friends for a drink, go on vacations to exotic places, and shop till you drop.

Okay, some of that is a bit of exaggeration just for fun. But seriously speaking, I have come to intensely dislike people telling me on chat, on phone, on sms, on email, and in person...that they are very busy.

Just puttering around all day at work keeps us busy. Ask yourself how many hours of meaningful, real value-adding, customer dazzling work did you do today? What did you do today that will get you a great appraisal and a possible hike and a much awaited promotion?? Now that is worth being busy over.

Being busy all the time generally means we are mismanaging our time - not being organized, not delegating smartly, not preparing for the week, not keeping commitments, and not being smart in general - that keeps us busy and running around.

The most successful....rich....prominent professionals in the world repeatedly declare in their interviews - that they have time because they are super organized, disciplined, and work smartly. They are never too busy for the important things in life. Are we listening??

Let me see how many days I can count off on my fingers before I hear that wretched phrase -I am busy - again! Cross my heart I'll not be saying it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment