Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Five Success Rules Reinvented - 2. Change is the new normal

CHANGE IS THE NEW NORMAL: Think about it, whether you are ready for it or not, whether it feels comfortable or not, our world is changing in dramatic ways - and in every sphere of life and business. Change is no longer a once-in-a-while event. And yet, I will still say that it is a matter of personal choice. You can choose to change or you can refuse to change. The choice is always yours. Only the consequences that flow from that choice are not in your control. Our current realities will dictate the results of our choices. 

So, look back at the last five years of your life. Where were you then, and where are you now? What has changed for you personally? Are your rewards in proportion to your expectations and your hard work? Did your goals come true? Did you read, develop yourself, meet new people, find new friends, or change your uninspiring job to a new one? Or are you pretty much the same person you were five years ago?

If your answer is a clear no or a doubtful - maybe, then you might want to examine your methods as you aspire for a better life, a more rewarding job, a profitable business, and a happier mind.  Status quo is not desirable anymore - I still value stability though, and it's great to change and find stability in your new state. 

Let me share a helpful anecdote. Many years ago, a colleague told me that every few weeks he changed which foot he first wears his shoes on, so if he got used to putting the right foot in and lacing it up, he changed over to the left foot, and though it felt uncomfortable at first, he continued to do so. I was amused to hear this, but he said it really helped him keep his mind, at the age of 55, tuned to 'change' and ready for change. Amazing little trick. 

Here are five tips that I hope will help you make change the new normal of your life:
1. Start small. Aspire to a manageable change. What small habit can you change for the better. Could you cut down on too much tea/coffee and make an effort to eat more fruit?

2. Examine your career over the last five years. Where had you aspired to be, and where are you today. What can you do differently, so you can work smart instead of hard all the time?

3. How well informed and up to date are you in your area of work? Remember, those who read, exceed. If you never read books or magazines, can you read for fifteen minutes today?

4. Is there something about your attitude you would like to change? Suppose you are short-tempered, can you practice patience and make yourself less reactive the next time you were upset? At times, being silent and taking five minutes to think before we speak makes all the difference. 

5. If you have always done what your job description asked you to do, what can you do above and beyond to add more value to your team, your boss, your role, your utility in the organization? What can you change to be more valuable than what you were hired to be? 

My recent change initiative: I have diligently done a good job of my job description which ever organization I have worked for. I am about to embark on a new work stint, and I am taking it up as a personal challenge to actively seek work beyond my role. To add value beyond what is expected of me. I don't see this as slogging, I think it is a smart change. Because the more value I add, the more valuable I become - as a professional and as a person. I think it is a big change for me internally, but I am choosing to change my mindset anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment